Changing motor oil is the most common maintenance activity a car owner should undertake, which means that even though a single change at the garage isn't that expensive, it can add up over the period of ownership.
Fortunately, changing your car oil yourself is relatively simple-and after you've done it once, it's even easier and cheaper to do it again. This is how you do it.
- Buy the right oil and filter. Follow the carmaker's recommendations for oil viscosity by consulting your owner's manual and don't skimp on a filter. Make sure it's rated to go the distance until your next change.
- Set up your workspace. You'll need a wrench set, a rubber mallet, safety glasses, rags, a funnel, an oil filter wrench, and an oil pan. Place all the tools in a tray for easy access.
- Warm up the engine. The engine and oil should be warm-not cold but not too hot. If the engine is hot, wait 30 minutes before getting to work. If the engine is cold, let it run for five minutes.
- Gain access to the oil filter and drain plug. This is usually under the car and may require raising it. Some cars may also have an undercover that you'll have to remove to gain access to what we want.
- Unscrew the drain plug. Quickly pull it out and away from the oil stream, with the oil tray placed below to catch it. Let all the oil drain.
- Clean the plug and screw it back in.
- Remove the old oil filter. Make sure the rubber gasket comes with it, and peel it from the engine if it doesn't. Hold the filter over the pan to drain it.
- Install the new filter, after smearing a dab of new oil on its O-ring.
- Refill the engine. Use a funnel to avoid a mess.
- Run the engine. Keep it running until the dashboard oil light goes out.
- Check the oil using a dipstick and add oil if needed.
If this process of how to change your oil seems too difficult for you, then stop by Shults Toyota and our friendly Toyota service techs will take care of your oil change for you. Just fill out the form on the right, or give us a call at (888) 409-12800 to schedule your appointment today. Please note we require you to call for a Saturday appointment. We look forward to helping you!
Service Department Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00AM - 12:00 PM
Please Note: To schedule a Saturday service appointment, please call us at (888) 409-1280. Don't use the online scheduler. Thank you.